Re: Wake on lan, etc

On 30/12/11 16:41, T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does Linux support wake on lan?
>
> My friend told me, in windows, you can send some magic packages over
> internet to wake up box that is even in sleep mode. The same tool can
> tell the box to reboot as well. Is such beast exist in Linux world as
> well?
>
> Thanks

Yes - in the Debian repositories there's:-
etherwake - A little tool to send magic Wake-on-LAN packets
gwakeonlan - wakes up your machines using Wake on LAN
wakeonlan - Sends 'magic packets' to wake-on-LAN enabled ethernet adapters

I've only used the last package - it works very nicely. eg:-
wakeonlan -i 192.168.0.255 00:60:b0:a4:22:f6

NOTE: some boxes require the -i broadcast address option eg. Thinkpads,
other don't.

Most modern laptops/mbs with built-in NICs support it, though it
generally requires enabling in the BIOS.
Many older mbs support it if you have the 3-wire cable and enable the
BIOS setting.

If anyone knows the pinouts for the 10-wire WOL cables that come with
the AMD-PCNet NICs I'd appreciate knowing the 3 used for WOL (5V+, Gnd,
WOL).

Cheers