Re: IBM x3550 M3 with Debian Squeeze not detecting disks on installation

2011/12/29 Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 12:41:25 -0300, Mauro Sánchez wrote:

>>> Did you try to partition and format the disks from Gparted?
>>>
>> Camaleon,
>> I created a partition of 10 GB with Gparted. Then I started to install
>> Squeeze but when is installing the base system it hangs up at 17% with
>> the following errors catched from the dmesg:
>> megasas: RESET -4637 cmd=2a retries=0
>> megasas: waiting for 1 commands to complete
>> megasas: failed to do reset
>> megasas: cannot recover form previous reset failures
>>
>> And other errors of the I/O type.
>
> Ugh... that sounds like the RAID controller is hanging/resetting very badly
> or the driver is behaving weirdly :-(
>
> It can be then a bug in the megasas kernel module and Google finds *lots*
> of similar errors for that same driver, and curiously, xen kernels:
>
> http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0&hl=en#hl=en&tbo=1&complete=0&site=webhp&tbs=qdr:y&q=LSI+megasas:+RESET+-4637+cmd%3D2a+retries%3D0&tbo=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=e8f1b276e45aa3ef&biw=1280&bih=888
>
> I wouldn't discard this is still happening on wheezy... although the
> installer can succeed, what will happen once the system enters into
> high load? Will the driver experience the same problems?

Hello Camaleon.
I have installed debian testing and then installed xen-linux-system
and boot from its kernel. Till now everything just works fine. What
kind of tests would you suggest me for high load activity with the
controller?

> Are you using the NET ISO image to install Debian? If no, I would do a
> final try using it, just to discard bad media and/or DVD read errors.

I tried with the net iso and the iso cd, just to be sure it wasn't a
media error. Thanks for asking anyway.

> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón