Re: IBM x3550 M3 with Debian Squeeze not detecting disks on installation

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:44:11 -0300, Mauro Sánchez wrote:

> Hello.
> I am trying to install Debian Squeeze on a IBM x3550 M3. The server has
> this 3 disks:
> IBM 600GB 10K 6Gbps SAS 2.5" SFF Slim-HS HDD
>
> The RAID controller is a LSI 9240-4i
>
> I have tried with a RAID 5 to install debian-amd64 but the installation
> hangs up when it starts to format the disks.

Mauro, have you tried to format and partition the disks from a GParted
LiveCD before running the installation? This way you can omit this step
from Debian installer, though I think this is something worth reporting
in BTS, either if you can bypass it with Gaprted or not.

On a completely side note, have you considered in using a different RAID
level (e.g., RAID 1)? I think it would be a better option for holding the
operating system.

> After that, I tried with only one disk and non-raid configuration, and
> the result is that the installation doesn't recognize the disk. It
> gives me a list of the controllers that I have to choose, but the disk
> is not recognized.

This is quite weird. How have you setup the hard disk controller at the
BIOS? What are the available options for a non-RAID layout (JBOD)?

> The server has all the firmwares updated, I know that because I have
> done it.
>
> After all that, I have tried with Debian Testing and the installation
> works just fine with no errors.

Hum... this is interesting. It points to some sort of problem with
Squeeze's installer :-?

> My question is, do I have to load some drivers for that kind of disks
> during the installation?

If the kernel supports the RAID controller there should be no need to
load additional drivers. The fact that only a hard disk is detected when
you have configured a RAID 5 setup means the card is properly recognized.

> What can I do? Should I try some other Debian installer like i386?

I would first try to use Gparted and see what happens.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón