Re: IBM x3550 M3 with Debian Squeeze not detecting disks on installation

On 12/28/2011 3:16 PM, Camaleón wrote:

> On a completely side note, have you considered in using a different RAID
> level (e.g., RAID 1)? I think it would be a better option for holding the
> operating system.

The hardware RAID level has no bearing on this problem.

> This is quite weird. How have you setup the hard disk controller at the
> BIOS? What are the available options for a non-RAID layout (JBOD)?

The LSI RAID cards require creating a single drive RAID0 to enable JBOD
use of a disk.  But the problem here isn't the controller, but likely
the driver revision used in the Debian 6 installer, or something else in
the block layer of the installer kernel.

> Hum... this is interesting. It points to some sort of problem with
> Squeeze's installer :-?

Correct.  I don't speak/read Spanish, but you responded multiple times
regarding the 9240-4i on the Debian Spanish list, regarding the same IBM
X Series server.  Thus when I started reading your responses here I
assumed you had the answers the OP needed. :)

>> My question is, do I have to load some drivers for that kind of disks
>> during the installation?

It's not "that kind of disks" it's "this RAID controller".  It appears
you have no prior experience with RAID controllers, and specifically the
LSI controllers.  That my be part of this problem as well.  Hard to tell
at this point.

> If the kernel supports the RAID controller there should be no need to
> load additional drivers. The fact that only a hard disk is detected when
> you have configured a RAID 5 setup means the card is properly recognized.

Agreed.

>> What can I do? Should I try some other Debian installer like i386?
>
> I would first try to use Gparted and see what happens.

Or create an LVM volume of the entire space and install Debian to the
LVM device.

--
Stan