Re: IBM x3550 M3 with Debian Squeeze not detecting disks on installation

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 10:31:28 -0300, Mauro Sánchez wrote:

> Camaleon, the configuration with one disk uses JBOD. I have tried Debian
> Stable with only one disk, RAID 1, RAID 5 and LVM. None of them worked.

Did you try to partition and format the disks from Gparted?

> But all of them worked with Debian Testing. I also tried
> squeeze-custom-amd64-0808, wich is a non-official release with support
> for newer hardware and that worked ok! It worked because it uses a
> Kernel 2.6.39 from backports. But the problem was that I have to install
> xen-linux-system, wich uses kernel 2.6.32, and when I tried to load it
> the server just restarted.

Uh, how is that? You did not say the server "restarted" but it stalled at
the installation part when making the partitions and formatting the
disks... did you finally install Squeeze or -put it in another way- when
is that "restart" happening?

> The conclusion of all this tests is that there is a problem with the
> kernel and the disks, not the raid controller.

Hum... there is no kernel xen (or I can't see it) from backports.

> I think is a problem with the disks, because when I used one disk with
> non raid configuration the installation didn't detect the disk, but the
> installation of debian testing did detect the disk.

Squeeze's stock kernel should support your raid controller card and hard
disks as I told you on the Spanish mailing list, I can't see what can be
failing here.

> And when I used RAID 5 or RAID 1, the installation of debian stable did
> detect the raid controller and let me create the partitions, but it
> hanged up when it tried to format them after I comitted the changes.

Try with the latest version of Gparted (LiveCD), this can be indeed a
problem within Squeeze installer (not the kernel) and using Gparted you
may be able to bypass it.

> And with debian testing RAID 5 or RAID 1 worked just fine. Maybe I am
> wrong, but I think the problem is in the kernel and the disks. I think
> I would have to use debian testing. Thanks a lot for the help.
> If anyone has another idea about this, it would be great. Greetings.
> Mauro.

Wheezy will be freezed on June 2012, there is still a long way until it
gets released but if you can deal with the usual problems coming from
testing, well, then go on :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón