Re: IBM x3550 M3 with Debian Squeeze not detecting disks on installation

2011/12/29 Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 10:31:28 -0300, Mauro Sánchez wrote:
>
>> Camaleon, the configuration with one disk uses JBOD. I have tried Debian
>> Stable with only one disk, RAID 1, RAID 5 and LVM. None of them worked.
>
> Did you try to partition and format the disks from Gparted?

No, that's the last test I have to try.

>> But all of them worked with Debian Testing. I also tried
>> squeeze-custom-amd64-0808, wich is a non-official release with support
>> for newer hardware and that worked ok! It worked because it uses a
>> Kernel 2.6.39 from backports. But the problem was that I have to install
>> xen-linux-system, wich uses kernel 2.6.32, and when I tried to load it
>> the server just restarted.
>
> Uh, how is that? You did not say the server "restarted" but it stalled at
> the installation part when making the partitions and formatting the
> disks... did you finally install Squeeze or -put it in another way- when
> is that "restart" happening?

About this restart is when I installed Debian from a custom cd wich
has a kernel 2.6.39
The installation works fine and there is no problem. But after that, I
have to install xen-linux-system wich has a kernel 2.6.32, and when I
reboot and try to boot from that kernel (xen-linux-2.6.32-amd64) the
server reboots.
All the other test with Debian stable hangs in the installation when
it tries to format the partitions.
So, even I will manage to create the partitions with Gparted and
install Debian stable, I will have the problem later with xen. But I
am just guessing here.

>> The conclusion of all this tests is that there is a problem with the
>> kernel and the disks, not the raid controller.
>
> Hum... there is no kernel xen (or I can't see it) from backports.

You are right, there aren't.

>> I think is a problem with the disks, because when I used one disk with
>> non raid configuration the installation didn't detect the disk, but the
>> installation of debian testing did detect the disk.
>
> Squeeze's stock kernel should support your raid controller card and hard
> disks as I told you on the Spanish mailing list, I can't see what can be
> failing here.

As I said before, in my opinion, there is a problem with the kernel
and the disks. But it's just my opinion based on all the tests I've
done.

>> And when I used RAID 5 or RAID 1, the installation of debian stable did
>> detect the raid controller and let me create the partitions, but it
>> hanged up when it tried to format them after I comitted the changes.
>
> Try with the latest version of Gparted (LiveCD), this can be indeed a
> problem within Squeeze installer (not the kernel) and using Gparted you
> may be able to bypass it.

I am about to do it.

>> And with debian testing RAID 5 or RAID 1 worked just fine. Maybe I am
>> wrong, but I think the problem is in the kernel and the disks. I think
>> I would have to use debian testing. Thanks a lot for the help.
>> If anyone has another idea about this, it would be great. Greetings.
>> Mauro.
>
> Wheezy will be freezed on June 2012, there is still a long way until it
> gets released but if you can deal with the usual problems coming from
> testing, well, then go on :-)

Ok, I will keep it on mind.

> Greetings,
>
> --