Re: port direction definition

Tony Baldwin wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > After setting this up it is possible that the port forwarding will
> > only work from the external network inbound to your internal network.
>
> I have server running on a little machine here, and I have a domain
> forwarded from dydns: http://tonybaldwin.homelinux.net
> but I can also view the stuff there via http://192.168.1.100:80
> or, from http://localhost:80, and, even
> http://tattoine:80
> (tattoine being the hostname for said machine on my network).
>
> A screenshot of my portforwarding:
> http://tonybaldwin.homelinux.net/images/portforwardls.jpg
>
> This is a linksys router, but not so different.

I didn't say that it would not work.  I said it might not work.  It is
certainly possible it will work.  But in my experience it is more
likely that it will not.

This can be very frustrating when trying to test if you think that it
will work, test from the internal network, find that it isn't working
for you, believe that it isn't working for anyone, keep changing the
configuration trying to make it work, when really it was working okay
from the external network.  Been there, done that, trying to save
others some of that thrash.

Wow, your signature block is very long!

> --
> http://www.baldwinsoftware.com
> sent using mutt
> ---------------------------
> ssh-rsa
> AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAADAQABAAAB
> AQC36TvTIaCR5Ft2nGWGcmRHKW6m3
> ugvGXhP6gGjzfRZPD5rnExPMRJwle
> Wv4f5r4WZvtHIbFfrpxfX+DIaplx
> nilQWSSLclDynxeELjb7oXHrDw7V
> lqipUCohFq7U86lecT57yXoEmHNMH
> bzXY1f97nQN7iYW2+ZAjc+PWypwx+
> Amr6dD9fuwCkg4O8j/HCVlp9hTdh
> GGT28YJG50joPiT5iueyKUvdkpyV
> Y0wOqSPSjiOFH/HFEaEN4fE0BmdXl
> Z+5up/bAgxLUdLim7mNoqA8ePfOnl
> 9/EknMK8fEz3NsNybFlCvKSPpmgc
> 40/Ubc8SI/dUfT2DmoBTRY7Y2xHH+p
> tony@baldwinsoftware.com

Are you really intending to include 19 lines of signature with your
email messages?  That is quite a lot!  Especially for something that
isn't very useful to others.

Bob