Re: port direction definition

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 11:00:37AM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> > In snapshot3.jpeg, the field (1) "Enter a name for the custom service:" can
> > be any random name. But what about (2)? Should I choose "Port Forwarding"
> > or "Port Triggering".

clippage
> After setting this up it is possible that the port forwarding will
> only work from the external network inbound to your internal network.
> That is, testing from your internal network may not be possible.  This
> is because it would require your packages to exit your internal
> network, then be translated through the NAT function of your router to
> the external router address, then the router would need to realize
> that it matches the external router address and route it back down the
> same interface.  That feature is often not allowed.
>
> Meaning that you will only be able to test if this is working from an
> external network.  I often do this using an ssh connection to a text
> terminal and then using lynx, w3m, or elinks to poke at the web site.

I have server running on a little machine here, and I have a domain
forwarded from dydns: http://tonybaldwin.homelinux.net
but I can also view the stuff there via http://192.168.1.100:80
or, from http://localhost:80, and, even
http://tattoine:80
(tattoine being the hostname for said machine on my network).

A screenshot of my portforwarding:
http://tonybaldwin.homelinux.net/images/portforwardls.jpg

This is a linksys router, but not so different.

./tony

--
http://www.baldwinsoftware.com
sent using mutt