Re: port direction definition

> Bob Proulx wrote:

> Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
>> In snapshot3.jpeg, the field (1) "Enter a name for the custom service:"
>> can be any random name. But what about (2)? Should I choose "Port
>> Forwarding" or "Port Triggering".
>
> Select Port Forwarding.  Port Triggering is used to dynamically make a
> selection based upon outbound activity.  But in this case you want to
> make a static configuration.

I followed yours and Andrei's suggestion and it worked like a charm. I chose
"Port Forwarding", Protocol=both, Global PortStart=8088, Global
PortEnd=8088, BaseHostPort=8088, Direction=In. Then assigned this service to
my laptop.

>> What about Direction? In/Out?
>> If the Direction is "In", then "Port Direction" can only be Dst.
>> If the Direction is "Out", then "Port Direction" can be Dst or Src. Which
>> Port direction should I choose?
>
> That is very confusing to me.  I vote to select In.  But I do not
> understand why it would provide an option for Out.
>
> After setting this up it is possible that the port forwarding will
> only work from the external network inbound to your internal network.
> That is, testing from your internal network may not be possible.  This
> is because it would require your packages to exit your internal
> network, then be translated through the NAT function of your router to
> the external router address, then the router would need to realize
> that it matches the external router address and route it back down the
> same interface.  That feature is often not allowed.
>
> Meaning that you will only be able to test if this is working from an
> external network.  I often do this using an ssh connection to a text
> terminal and then using lynx, w3m, or elinks to poke at the web site.

You are absolutely right. It does not work internally but if I go to an
external machine and view the website it works. I've previously tried the
same configuration but I was always testing it internally. So, it looked as
if it did not work.

Thanks for all the help.

raju
--