Re: HTTP proxy over ssh recommendation?

Timo Boettcher wrote:
> Bob Proulx  wrote:
> > Philipp Tölke wrote:
> > > Did you look at the -D option for ssh?
> >
> > But I don't know how to make it operate as an http proxy.  Perhaps
> > there is a way but unknown to me.  I don't want to run my local
> > firefox under socksify.  I am sure that would work but then I couldn't
> > easily switch it on and off as needed.  Therefore having an actual
> > external http proxy works better as far as I can tell.
>
> What about running privoxy over an ssh -D socks-proxy?

If you were going to use privoxy then while it would be possible to
use -D to access it but it is just as easy to just do normal tcp port
forwarding with ssh -L 8888:127.0.0.1:8888 and connect to it too.
Then the -D socks option isn't needed at all.  Since the -L is the
much more simpler than -D it wins that comparison.  The -D option is
only interesting if it can solve the problem without any other tools
installed.

I had looked at privoxy as a normal http proxy and it says:

 Privoxy is a web proxy with advanced filtering capabilities for
 protecting privacy, filtering web page content, managing cookies,
 controlling access, and removing ads, banners, pop-ups and other
 obnoxious Internet junk. Privoxy has a very flexible configuration
 and can be customized to suit individual needs and tastes. Privoxy
 has application for both stand-alone systems and multi-user networks.
 .
 Privoxy is based on Internet Junkbuster (tm).

I didn't want any filtering.  It looks to me like privoxy is
targetting filtering.  That doesn't come for free.  It adds a lot of
complication that I didn't need.

Plus privoxy is much larger in size.

  $ apt-cache show tinyproxy | grep ^Size:
  Size: 87474

  $ apt-cache show privoxy | grep Size:
  Size: 607478

As you can see tinyproxy is about 1/7th the size.  So it wins this
comparison so far.

Bob