Re: HTTP proxy over ssh recommendation?

> I often have a situation that I would like to improve.  I need to
> access web servers that exist on a private subnet.  I can log in using
> ssh.  I can of course use lynx, w3m and similar for text mode
> browsing.  But sometimes those text mode browsers are not suitable to
> the needed tasks.  I don't wish to forward X directly nor with vnc
> either since either of those would be very slow.

Did you look at the -D option for ssh?

#v+
 -D [bind_address:]port
    Specifies a local “dynamic” application-level port forwarding.  This
    works by allocating a socket to listen to port on the local side,
    optionally bound to the specified bind_address.  Whenever a connection
    is made to this port, the connection is forwarded over the secure
    channel, and the application protocol is then used to determine where to
    connect to from the remote machine.  Currently the SOCKS4 and SOCKS5
    protocols are supported, and ssh will act as a SOCKS server.  Only root
    can forward privileged ports.  Dynamic port forwardings can also be
    specified in the configu‐ ration file.
#v-

I have never used it myself, but it sounds usable.

Regards,
--
Philipp Tölke