Re: Choosing a distribution (was: Just a simple query)

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 17:15:22 +0530, Linux Tyro wrote:

> I just meant that, security patched for 18 months are enough for the
> beginners and the people who are from other filed (like me). After 18
> months, in the home PC, we can reinstall the newer version again (or
> upgrade the same, if it doesn't really cause the problem(s)). However,
> what exactly I meant is that even if the newer version is installed, the
> basic functionality of the system would remain the same, like what we
> learned in the previous version (for 18 months) would even be applicable
> to the newer ones....

But of course! ;-)

Yes, upgrading or installing from scratch a new version of openSUSE will
be very familiar for you, it's pretty the same. Big changes happen from
time time and usually are smoothly added, so this should not be a problem
at all.

In fact, the same remains true for other linux distributions.

>> One of the advantadges of openSUSE for newbies and this kind of repos
>> is that they can have a stable version of openSUSE and easily add a
>> repo for upgrading their KDE or GNOME full environment, and this is
>> something difficult to get in Debian (you have to run the "testing"
>> branch or carefully pin the selected packages and that's not for
>> begginers).
>>

> That I really don't understand at this point of time, but in future
> (after getting at least some hands wet), I could know about it.

It basically means that openSUSE users can easily enjoy the newer
versions of their preferred desktop environments (KDE and GNOME) with
just one click without needing to make strong changes in their base
system install.

This is a bit more complicated to get in Debian unless you are running
the testing or unstable branch and don't take me wrong, it is not bad
"per se" just different development approaches.

For users running KDE or GNOME, openSUSE has that "plus" available; for
users running a server with no graphical GUI at all that point can be
irrelevant.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón