Re: Choosing a distribution (was: Just a simple query)

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 8:54 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

By trying both LiveCDs you will see how the two system look like, how
they're organized and the most important part for a LiveCD: you'll can
try out the hardware detection.

That's really the most important part, I should say 'most important' for me at least and that too being a beginner.

Before installing Debian, I left one of my spare systems loaded with a
LiveCD for some time to start getting in touch with the system (a LiveCD
also allows you to install software applications, although "disk" space
is somehow limited). At the time I installed openSUSE (2003) there was
not such option called "LiveCD" so I had to blindly install the OS
without testing it before so nowadys you have a great advantage ;-)

The live CD options might have evolved recently only, but that's really a great job done. I thank to all the developers.

> This is not a problem for a single home user because I think even if the
> period is of 18 months, one (here 'I') can learn at least some basics of
> Linux, and after 18 months can install/upgrade the newer version and
> then for next 18 months - again it is safe. The basic fundamental of the
> newer upgraded version too would remain the same as that of the one with
> was it got replaced, please let me know if it is like that....mean am I
> correct in this sense....?

I don't understand this :-?

I just meant that, security patched for 18 months are enough for the beginners and the people who are from other filed (like me). After 18 months, in the home PC, we can reinstall the newer version again (or upgrade the same, if it doesn't really cause the problem(s)). However, what exactly I meant is that even if the newer version is installed, the basic functionality of the system would remain the same, like what we learned in the previous version (for 18 months) would even be applicable to the newer ones....

In openSUSE (as in other distributions) you have the chance to:

1/ Perform a full install (from scratch)
2/ Perform a mid-install (by keeping your /home partition, if available)
3/ Perform an offline upgrade (by booting from a DVD/CD install media)
4/ Perform an online upgrade (from a running system)

Option 4/ has been added recently and is officialy supported when
upgrading from one version to the next one (that is, you can jump from
11.3 to 11.4).

I (as a beginner too), can only perform the option no.1/ and I am pretty sure for it, only GUI would work perfectly.

> And that's why I go for its trial on the coming Sunday.

I wish you the best of the lucks. Feel free to come here if you finally
don't find yourself confortable with openSUSE but I'm sure you will do.
They also have a great and supportive user community :-)

Thanks a lot.

Choosing between openSUSE and Debian is a very easy decision: whichever
you finally select you will win :-)

Oh great, that's really a nice sentence with true reality. Both are rock solid - so I win in both the cases!