Re: laptop wireless setup, wpa_supplicant.conf, driver ipw not supported? CLI only

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 10:45:38PM BST, keitho@strucktower.com wrote:
> [...]
> configure wpa_supplicant as a next step. When I try to invoke it I get a
> message saying the ipw driver isn't supported, although the man page for
> wpa_supplicant states that ipw _is_ supported...(for now I am running all
> these as root):

Clearly man page is out of date - file a bug.

> root@eve:~# wpa_supplicant -Dipw -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -ieth0 -d
> [...]

Drop -D option, wpasupplicant will use wext, which is the default -
should work just fine. You can also try nl80211.

> root@eve:~# cat /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

On Debian, there's already a directory /etc/wpa_supplicant/, it might be
worth putting it there.
There's no need to run wpa_supplicant "by hand" - it integrates nicely
with ifupdown. You can simply put:

iface eth0 inet dhcp
	wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

into your /etc/network/interfaces (add "wpa-debug-level 3" if you're
having problems) and use ifupdown.
Already suggested - read documents in /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant.

Regards,
--
Raf