Re: Choosing a distribution (was: Just a simple query)

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 11:47:33 -0400, Burhan Hanoglu wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 7:03 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I wanted to say that when you are a linux newbie (we all have been
>> there) your main concern is not focused in "freedom" or "stability" but
>> understanding how all that stuff works and how can do what you need
>> with the less problems, if possible. As times goes by, you start
>> putting attention in other things, like the package manager, upgrading
>> procedures and/or what the community of your chosen distribution
>> provides :-)
>>
> Both freedom and stability are still good things to have while going
> thru the "newbie" stage. Ending up learning a "good" distro at the end
> of the stage mentioned is also an important thing.

I did not say the opposite, just that they're not your "main" concern
because an stable and freedom system is useless unless you can install
and be able to work with your system.

>> And to be sincere, having used openSUSE during 6 years (in both,
>> servers and desktop/workstation computers) I find openSUSE to be the
>> perfect distribution for linux beginners and newcomers.
>>
> OpenSuse can be as stable as well, but the main perfection with Suse is
> being able to get almost everything done in the GUI mainly using YAST,
> which is a good thing. However....

I think you are totally wrong here. Have you tried openSUSE for a long
period of time? :-)

The beauty of openSUSE is that you can run the applications or setting up
the system configuration either from 1) a GUI wizard, 2) using the GUI
ncurses counterpart or 3) by typing the required commands... you can
choose whatever level of expertise best suits for you and that's
something that is not available in other distributions.

>>> I have no objection to any other distribution in this matter; that's
>>> why I said "...(at least) one of the best GNU/Linux distributions...".
>>> But don't forget that OpenSuse is a testing environment for SLES, same
>>> way Fedora is for RHEL. Well; this doesn't mean they are bad distros,
>>> but a fact is still a fact....:)
>>
>> And you are right: openSUSE is the base (testing "lab") for the paid
>> SuSE Linux flavours (SLED and SLES). And this (being the testing lab)
>> has "pros" and "cons":

(blah, blah... snipping my "cons&pros")

> However; "perfection" for a novice is not just to find another OS or
> GNU/Linux distribution using which they can do everything on a stable
> GUI. What eventually is more important is the scene behind the GUI. I
> have to admit that GUI helps a novice get things configured and work
> rather quickly and easily, but by achieving the same result the hard
> way, which takes more time; a novice can end up with real-world
> experiments. This is when the "objective accomplished" when the matter
> is "learning Linux"; even for a regular user...

Sure! I fully agree with your POV and openSUSE is "perfect" for such
scenario because it provides the user the possibility to go for the
novice, intermadiate or the expert path ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón