Re: Choosing a distribution (was: Just a simple query)

On 27 Oct 2011, Burhan Hanoglu wrote:

[snip]

> However; "perfection" for a novice is not just to find another OS or
> GNU/Linux distribution using which they can do everything on a stable
> GUI. What eventually is more important is the scene behind the GUI. I
> have to admit that GUI helps a novice get things configured and work
> rather quickly and easily, but by achieving the same result the hard
> way, which takes more time; a novice can end up with real-world
> experiments. This is when the "objective accomplished" when the matter
> is "learning Linux"; even for a regular user...
>
> Sincerely,
> Burhan

A distribution that does everything with the GUI certainly makes things
easier for beginners, but I think that unless you take the plunge and
become comfortable with the command line you are likely to progress
only slowly.

I'm very thankful that I came to Linux from DOS. Even at that time I
dislike Windows (version 3.0!) so Linux was less of a culture shock than
it would otherwise have been.

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks