problem mounting usb thumb drive

I have a fresh install of xfce on wheezy. The machine is an eracks
desktop with an amd phenom II cpu, 8 Gb ram. I have previously run
roughly the same configuration of xfce before, but there were large
element of gnome also on the machine. Being of feeble mind and
forgetting all the other times I had disturbed sleeping dogs, I did
the fresh install thing. Everything is fine, I noticed that gdm had
been replaced by xdm.

My problem:  	usb thumb drive does not mount automatically.
		I can su and mount it from the command line.
		I checked and I am a member of the plugdev group.
		The last line of mtab reads:
		 	/dev/sdb1 /media/usb0 vfat
		 	rw,noexec,nodev,sync,noatime,nodiratime 0 0
		After mounting the drive by hand, I noticed that the
		/media directory has had usb0 usb1 etc. added to it
		and it is possible to mount the drive with a mouse,
		but as a user it is read only (not what mtab says?)

Before I go off rooting about as root and causing untold damage, I'm
asking for some help. (I did send in an installation report with the
installation logs, etc. - perhaps I will get some help there.)

John.