Re: odd network error - wireless drops when browsing with mc over ssh

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 22:09:10 +0100, andy baxter wrote:

> On 18/10/11 13:02, Camaleón wrote:
>> What's your current device (brand and model)? If you already said, I
>> for sure forgot it :-P
>>

> Netgear dgn1000. I just said 'cheap netgear router'.

Yes, sorry... I forgot :-)

>> For example, what I would do...?
>>
>> 1/ Review the router's log. These devices can save a small registry of
>> events and some models can even log wifi dropouts our internal errors.
>
> Next time the error occurs I'll check this.

With some DSL routers you have to enable the logging facility first.

>> 2/ Getting a new firmware. This is always a good idea because you will
>> get many bug fixes and probably new features for your device.
>>

> I went to the router upgrade page and it told me there was no new
> firmware available.

Don't trust your router. Go to Netgear's page and re-check it:

http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/12208

If you have the lastest one, perfect.

>> 3/ The hang/freeze can come due to a high volume of traffic or a high
>> level security settings (e.g., very strict firewall rules that analyze
>> all of the incoming-outgoing traffic, wpa-psk2 with aes...) all these
>> settings are subject to be modified by the user and can alleviate the
>> processing tasks of the router, which in the end it can translate into
>> a more stable connection. Try to tweak some of them (one every time)
>> and see if you see any gain.
>>

> Could do this but I'd rather have a reliable router that doesn't throw
> weird errors like this in the first place! :-)

Most of these user-oriented cheap devices are not very good manufactured
and break very soon or get warm very quickly (as Whit already said) and
excessive heat can make indeed the router behaves wrongly or do weird
things (like dropping wireless connection or hang).

> I haven't tweaked the standard config much, so it should really work ok.

This is something you should try (manually set/tweak the device), most of
the times "defaults" are not always the best settings for us ("one size
does not always fit to all") and the auto-configure button (WPS) is
convenient and easy, yes... when all is working fine.

But when you experience a problem, it is usually needed to start from
scratch (a factory reset with an empty profile) and manually set the
device, lowering security or disabling the firewall facility that can
help to deal with your problem.

Besides, a quick Google search can also help to determine if this is a
commom problem or is just you who experiences the freezes:

http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0&hl=en#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&complete=0&site=webhp&source=hp&q=DGN1000+freezes&btnK=Google+Search&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=bd638b897581bb57&biw=1280&bih=888

Wow... I'd go for the former :-(

DGN1000 Wireless Random Disconnections
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=56607

I would read all of those messages, it seems that many other users are
in the same boat.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón