Re: odd network error - wireless drops when browsing with mc over ssh

On 14/10/11 22:44, Camaleón wrote:
On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 20:40:35 +0100, andy baxter wrote:

Yes I lose the connection between my laptop and my home router. I meant
rebooting the router, not my computer. What happens is the wireless
drops completely, and won't reconnect until I reboot the router. I don't
know how to restart just the networking on this router.
Ah... okay. I see.

More questions then:

1/ When wifi drops, can you connect to the AP from another device (i.e.,
a smartphone or another computer), or the AP becomes completely
inaccessible for any device?

If another device can be linked to the AP, then what fails here is the
computer (wifi adapter, NetworkManager, wifi driver...) not the router.

If no other device can get associated to the AP, then the culprit here is
the router that freezes or drops the wifi somehow.

2/ When wifi drops, can you access the router using a wired cable?

Hi camaleon,

I've just been trying to reproduce the error to give you some more information, and at the moment it's not doing it. I have a temporary workaround for the problem when it does occur, which is to cd to /etc before I start mc. I'd like to work out what's happening with this problem just for my own curiosity if nothing else, but I'm also wondering if I would be better to spend a bit of money on a decent ADSL modem/router and see if that solves the problem. The one we have is a cheap netgear router that came with the broadband, and I've considered getting a better one anyway.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read and reply to my posts.

andy baxter