Re: odd network error - wireless drops when browsing with mc over ssh

On 18/10/11 13:02, Camaleón wrote:
What's your current device (brand and model)? If you already said, I for
sure forgot it :-P

Netgear dgn1000. I just said 'cheap netgear router'.

Can you still access to the router using an ethernet cable? If yes, and
before throwing away your current device, you can still gather more
information about the freeze or run more tests.

For example, what I would do...?

1/ Review the router's log. These devices can save a small registry of
events and some models can even log wifi dropouts our internal errors.

Next time the error occurs I'll check this.

2/ Getting a new firmware. This is always a good idea because you will
get many bug fixes and probably new features for your device.

I went to the router upgrade page and it told me there was no new firmware available.

3/ The hang/freeze can come due to a high volume of traffic or a high
level security settings (e.g., very strict firewall rules that analyze
all of the incoming-outgoing traffic, wpa-psk2 with aes...) all these
settings are subject to be modified by the user and can alleviate the
processing tasks of the router, which in the end it can translate into a
more stable connection. Try to tweak some of them (one every time) and
see if you see any gain.

Could do this but I'd rather have a reliable router that doesn't throw weird errors like this in the first place! :-)

I haven't tweaked the standard config much, so it should really work ok.

thanks,

andy