Re: odd network error - wireless drops when browsing with mc over ssh

On 15/10/11 12:30, Camaleón wrote:
On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 12:07:46 +0100, andy baxter wrote:

I've just been trying to reproduce the error to give you some more
information, and at the moment it's not doing it. I have a temporary
workaround for the problem when it does occur, which is to cd to /etc
before I start mc. I'd like to work out what's happening with this
problem just for my own curiosity if nothing else, but I'm also
wondering if I would be better to spend a bit of money on a decent ADSL
modem/router and see if that solves the problem. The one we have is a
cheap netgear router that came with the broadband, and I've considered
getting a better one anyway.
It is still unclear to me where the problem lies.

If the router completely freezes (at least the wireless part) it can
deserve for a device replacement but you should run more tests to discard
the problem is not on the computer's side.

The same error happened again this morning, and I found that my android smartphone also lost its connection and was unable to reconnect afterwards. I didn't actually see the connection drop, but it was definitely down afterwards and unable to reconnect. It normally works fine with that router.

This is making me think I should get a better router. If you can recommend one that is reliable and has a good admin interface, that would be a help.

If you want any more info, let me know.

andy baxter