Re: odd network error - wireless drops when browsing with mc over ssh

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 09:30:34 +0100, andy baxter wrote:

> On 15/10/11 12:30, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 12:07:46 +0100, andy baxter wrote:
>>
>>> I've just been trying to reproduce the error to give you some more
>>> information, and at the moment it's not doing it. I have a temporary
>>> workaround for the problem when it does occur, which is to cd to /etc
>>> before I start mc. I'd like to work out what's happening with this
>>> problem just for my own curiosity if nothing else, but I'm also
>>> wondering if I would be better to spend a bit of money on a decent
>>> ADSL modem/router and see if that solves the problem. The one we have
>>> is a cheap netgear router that came with the broadband, and I've
>>> considered getting a better one anyway.
>> It is still unclear to me where the problem lies.
>>
>> If the router completely freezes (at least the wireless part) it can
>> deserve for a device replacement but you should run more tests to
>> discard the problem is not on the computer's side.
>>

> The same error happened again this morning, and I found that my android
> smartphone also lost its connection and was unable to reconnect
> afterwards. I didn't actually see the connection drop, but it was
> definitely down afterwards and unable to reconnect. It normally works
> fine with that router.
>
> This is making me think I should get a better router. If you can
> recommend one that is reliable and has a good admin interface, that
> would be a help.

What's your current device (brand and model)? If you already said, I for
sure forgot it :-P

> If you want any more info, let me know.

Can you still access to the router using an ethernet cable? If yes, and
before throwing away your current device, you can still gather more
information about the freeze or run more tests.

For example, what I would do...?

1/ Review the router's log. These devices can save a small registry of
events and some models can even log wifi dropouts our internal errors.

2/ Getting a new firmware. This is always a good idea because you will
get many bug fixes and probably new features for your device.

3/ The hang/freeze can come due to a high volume of traffic or a high
level security settings (e.g., very strict firewall rules that analyze
all of the incoming-outgoing traffic, wpa-psk2 with aes...) all these
settings are subject to be modified by the user and can alleviate the
processing tasks of the router, which in the end it can translate into a
more stable connection. Try to tweak some of them (one every time) and
see if you see any gain.

As per brand/models of good access points I'm almost an illiterate in
this field (I avoid using wireless devices as much as I can), maybe
someone can give you any advice on this :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón