Re: package management help

On Sun 16 Oct 2011 at 22:23:59 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> I'm no package management expert.  I only install packages when I need
> new capabilities, or when doing security updates.  I discovered during
> this apache2 troubleshooting that I had 1.6GB of .deb files in the apt
> package cache.  I did an 'aptitude autoclean' and that cut it down to 430MB.
>
> Is there any good reason to not go ahead and run 'aptitude clean' and
> just get rid of all of those?  What purpose do they serve once a package
> has been installed?  I can't recall ever reinstalling a package after
> I've removed it.

Unless you are bandwidth constrained, using a cache as a repository for
other machines or just lazy I cannot think of a compelling reason not to
'clean' it. With unstable I tend to leave it for a while just in case it
is necessary to roll back to a known working set of packages in the
event there is some update which causes a problem.