Re: Gnome 3 and VirtualBox

On 15/10/11 17:56, Camaleón wrote:
(...)

With Gnome 3, to start, I don't know how to switch to another desktop
if I am in VirtualBox fullscreen. Windows absorbs the Windows key, of
course, which is also the Gnome 3 hot key, and the top left screen
corner is occupied by VB. Does anyone know?

(...)

Hmm... good question.

I have not tried it but (in theory :-P) it should be the same. The
application you need to run from VB can be placed in a second workspace
and switching between workspaces can be done in gnome-shell by means of
"Ctrl+Alt+Up/Down arrow".

No, doesn't work, not even in windowed mode; VB captures the keystroke
and delivers it to the Windows XP guest; Gnome 3 doesn't even notice it
and IMHO that's the way it should be because you might need it on the
guest.

Hum... the host should prevail over the guest (just kidding ;-), but
losing the host keybindings because of the running VM is not something I
would expect). Anyway, if it does not work, this is a secondary
problem :-)

Do you have the latest package of VB (and for its guest additions)? I've
read about some improvements for GNOME 3 in the last VB changelog :-?

Yes, I have 4.1.4 on both

What I think I need is a working corner/top/edge screen trigger which
isn't working with VB fullscreen.

Now you say... maybe you can try with a third-party tool, like
"xbindkeys" to bind mouse or key actions to events and it's independent
of the window manager in use.

I'll investigate that, thank you.

In the meanwhile, I discovered that the cad program just doesn't like to be changed of mode, meaning, if I start it on windowed mode, it displays correctly until I change to fullscreen and vice-versa. So, I can operate on windowed mode and run the cad program correctly, just loosing about one inch vertically, which is tolerable. Then, when I want to switch to another desktop, I use the top left corner, which is visible, to do it.

Let's hope that either the Gnome or the VirtualBox guys sort this out in the meanwhile.

Thank you for your extended help.