Re: Gnome 3 and VirtualBox

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 17:08:04 +0100, José Silva wrote:

> On 15/10/11 12:51, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> With Gnome 3, to start, I don't know how to switch to another desktop
>>> if I am in VirtualBox fullscreen. Windows absorbs the Windows key, of
>>> course, which is also the Gnome 3 hot key, and the top left screen
>>> corner is occupied by VB. Does anyone know?
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Hmm... good question.
>>
>> I have not tried it but (in theory :-P) it should be the same. The
>> application you need to run from VB can be placed in a second workspace
>> and switching between workspaces can be done in gnome-shell by means of
>> "Ctrl+Alt+Up/Down arrow".
>
> No, doesn't work, not even in windowed mode; VB captures the keystroke
> and delivers it to the Windows XP guest; Gnome 3 doesn't even notice it
> and IMHO that's the way it should be because you might need it on the
> guest.

Hum... the host should prevail over the guest (just kidding ;-), but
losing the host keybindings because of the running VM is not something I
would expect). Anyway, if it does not work, this is a secondary
problem :-)

Do you have the latest package of VB (and for its guest additions)? I've
read about some improvements for GNOME 3 in the last VB changelog :-?

> What I think I need is a working corner/top/edge screen trigger which
> isn't working with VB fullscreen.

Now you say... maybe you can try with a third-party tool, like
"xbindkeys" to bind mouse or key actions to events and it's independent
of the window manager in use.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón