Re: What to make of this apt-get update output.

Robert Holtzman wrote:
> I must be more of a noob than I thought. "Follow the points"...what
> points? If you mean the debian.org and wiki URLs, they just point to the
> kernel.org site(s), dead end.
>
> "If you are using  squeeze, better change that URI".....what one?
>
> Running a search on "squeeze repositories list" yielded nothing useful.

Since you are in the US you can use the US mirrors.  For a complete
list of mirrors see this reference:

  http://www.debian.org/mirror/list

But to keep things simple let me propose these complete examples:

  For Squeeze:

    deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
    deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main

    deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze-updates main
    deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze-updates main

    deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main

  For Wheezy currently Testing:

    deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main
    deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main

    deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main

Add "contrib non-free" to the "main" if you are inclined, you had them
before.  But since those are not officially part of Debian I did not
include them in the above listings.  You would need to opt-in for
those yourself.

The ftp.us.debian.org name is a list of round robin US mirrors.  They
are all sites that have full mirrors but all different independent
sites.  It has previously included kernel.org but not at this time
while that site is down.  Being a dynamic system the mirror admins
keep that name updated with the current list of good working mirrors.
If a mirror has problems it is quickly removed from the round robin
list.  Sometimes you might experience a transient glitch from a single
mirror.  Running 'update' again will round robin again and possibly
get a different mirror (or possibly the same) and avoid the problem
(or not).  Try again if not.  Usually transient problems are either
cleared quickly or the name is dropped from the dns record in a few
hours.  And remember that Stable is stable but Sid is very unstable.

For Testing Wheezy there is no "-updates" section at this time.  The
rationale being that Testing will get updates from Unstable very
quickly and doesn't need a "-updates" similarly to not having needed
"volatile" previously.

You can see this from a practical perspective by browsing the
repository, observing the available sections, but noting that
squeeze-updates exists but wheezy-updates is not there.

  http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/

Hope that helps!

Bob