Re: USB NICs latest compatibility?

Bob on 10/11/2011 1:31 AM, wrote:
I have a cheap $5 A1pro KY-AX88772A on which the chipset is labelled ASIX
AX88772ALF so far it's worked with everything I've plugged it into & has been
invaluable for installing the binary blob Ethernet or WiFi firmware onto some
computers I put my squeeze or wheezy image onto.

One thing to consider is I've heard bad things about the latency, jitter &
throughput of these USB Ethernet adapters, if I get round to it later I'll run a
test but it may be worth figuring out if the existing Ethernet port on your
device supports vLANs.

That is exactly what I didn't want to hear, but thanks for the warning. High latency, jitter and poor throughput would be bad news because this NIC must handle all internet traffic from the LAN - admittedly 3 or 4 computers at the most, but still.

I'll look into vLANs.

I also have the possibility to install a wireless NIC, although looking in the computer manual, it doesn't make it clear if it replaces the cable/RJ45 NIC. If it is in addition to the RJ45, I could use that as the solution.

Thanks
Adam