Re: router for loadbalancing..anyone know a low cost solution ??

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 08:15, Joey L <mjh2000@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 7:23 PM, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 9, 2011 8:25 AM, "Joey L" <mjh2000@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I know this is not exactly the correct forum for this question, but:
>>> 1. I do not want to setup another debian server/servers.
>>> 2. I am on a serious low budget to run 2 servers.
>>> 3. I am looking for the router to handle the load balancing between 2
>>> debian servers.
>>>
>>> Or - Can I setup debian to listen 2 ip addresses on each server ????
>>> And have one as the one primary to respond.  If that one is down - the
>>> other server how is also listening for that ip address - answer ???
>>>

>> You didn't specify what protocal you needed fail over capability for? If
>> you're doing http, look at nginx. If you're doing anything else, look at
>> openssi or a component thereof. Perlbal might be a solution as well. As I
>> said, you didn't really say much.
>
> Thanks for the reply - sorry for not specifying much.

per the below, you probably want protocol specific solutions.

> I am running standard services on 2 boxes - apache, mysql, postfix, asterisk.

apache - i think can do balancing however i'd use a reverse proxy like
nginx or perlbal
mysql - will do master/slave on its own
postfix - all email servers have this capability
asterisk - not 100%, but i assume you can setup a master/slave with
this as well.