Re: Disabling wifi to save battery

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:26:32 +1100, Daniel Dalton wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 09, 2011 at 11:45:41AM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> > laptop I could use the rfkill package like so: rfkill block wifi
>>
>> Here are some tips:
>>
>> http://www.lesswatts.org/tips/wireless.php
>
> Will take a look
>

>> Another option could be disabling wifi and bluetooth adapter from BIOS
>> (if this is available).
>
> Yes, although I use wifi fairly frequently, so if I can't find a
> solution, I'll just accept the extra battery consumption...:)

Yes, turning off the wifi at BIOS only makes sense if you're not using it
at all or only from time to time.

>> backlight, wifi, BT, hdd temperature sensors...) and maybe your dell
>> needs something similar :-?
>
> module wl controls wifi... I had to install it manually.

No, I did not mean that. "wl" is a generic module for broadcom based wifi
chipsets but in addition to this driver my system also loads another one
that manages the "goodies" of the laptop (function/special keys,
backlight, wifi/BT swtich, etc...).

(...)

>> Is the wifi card already configured and detected by the system?
>
> Yes, but I had to configure manually...

Why... was that intentional? :-?

Greetings,

--