Re: USB NICs latest compatibility?

Camaleón on 10/10/2011 5:33 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 16:45:15 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:

I just wanted to ask quickly before I order a USB NIC: are there any
major issues with USB NICs with Squeeze?

I'd say that, as always happens in such situations, chipset is the key.

I have a great little machine that is only the size of a box of
chocolates and it only has one NIC, so to make it into a gateway machine
for my LAN, I'll need a NIC on a USB interface.

I see from the archives here that there's no real problem mentioned
since 2004, but then I figure they're not that common. Hopefully this is
a totally unnecessary question, but most of my experience with NICs
comes from prior to 2004.... I can't find an equivalent to the TDLP.org
hardware compatibility how-to.

Maybe anyone who's using a USB NIC can recommend a manufacturer. That
would be great.

I would browse the web for a more updated information on these devices.
For instance, this guy have done a small list of USB to ethernet devices
that work in linux:

http://free-electrons.com/blog/usbeth/

Wow. It recommends the Apple USB ethernet adapter.

After doing a lot of looking around, it's mostly the ubuntu people who are talking about USB cable ethernet adapters, although my searches keep getting drowned out by all the stuff on wireless adapters.

I think it's safe to say it should be all ok.

Thanks for that link. It never came up on my searching.

Adam