Re: [OT] Re: Please kill the noise

On 8 October 2011 20:22, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> If you all are true believers in off topic posting, as you have so
> vigorously defended, why don't we _all_ commit ourselves to making one
> OT post per day and see where that leads?

Actually I am not one of " true believers in off topic posting",
neither have I "so vigorously defended" it.

Out of the increased volume over the last several weeks, I have had a
great deal of enjoyment and- dare I say it on a apparently would be
totally serious, and solely, and only to the point, one true Debian
list- I have learned a great deal whilst so doing.

Yes, the OT topic wandered: I enjoyed the discussion on English and
it's variations, found the values of units we use so casually
informative, and the discussion of the costs/benefits of AC v. DC
electrical distribution most educational.

What's not to like?

If I do not like a thread, or have no interest in it, I merely delete
it at the same time I delete other lists and other threads. It takes
little or no extra time, and I would be very much surprised that those
who cavil at such threads read all and each message on each "on topic"
thread.

So when they delete the "on topic" messages in which they have no
interest, would it take them much more time to delete the "off topic"
messages at the same time.

Or does it take less time to compose and post a message complaining about them.

As for the merely silly latter suggestion, well, it surely does not
deserve the dignity of a reply.

Terence