Re: [OT] Re: Please kill the noise

On 07/10/11 07:32, Weaver wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 10:15:07 -0400
> Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:
>
>> Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>>> All of the off topic crap the last couple of days is making it more
>>> difficult to assist those who actually need help with Debian.

Agreed (Stan), but.... unfortunately, like expecting people to abide by
the published policies regarding language - it generally doesn't happen.
In fact, on this list - the more offensive the poster - the more people
throw themselves in the mud to assist them. :-(

>>> Debian is an OS for _mature_ Linux users.  Please act like one and
>>> stop this juvenile OT nonsense.

Also agreed. I suspect you speak for the majority of list subscribers -
those that read but don't post *unless they have a question*.

>> What's your problem?

What's yours? Comprehension?
Stan clearly stated his objections. Perhaps you didn't mean to offend
(Miles)...

>> It's interesting stuff,

That's your assessment/opinion. And it sounds like an ignorant,
bullying, and arrogant opinion. (again, that might not be your intention
- just how it reads).

>> and everyone is being
>> polite and marking it [OT] and all that (except you, I might note).
>> Maybe you should learn to use your delete key and/or kill-file stuff
>> containing "[OT]"

Agreed - (but I don't endorse your method of saying it.)
AFAIK, all MUAs allow some sort of filtering. Using a "disposable",
free, web mail account allows you to do that filtering without having to
download the noise (and preserve the signal).

> The point has often been

That's weasel talk ("Heddle Weaver").
Many people believed the world was flat also - it doesn't make it so.

> made that this list is for Debian 'Users' and
> not therefore strictly Debian subject matter.

Like a Texan long horn - there's a point here, and a point there - with
a whole lot of bull in-between.

The code of conduct is published - if you don't like it, then vote
against it instead of making s*it up to support an unsustainable argument.

*The mailing lists exist to foster the development and use of Debian.
Non-constructive or off-topic messages, along with other abuses, are not
welcome.*

> I think

There's an established protocol for these issues in Debian - it's a
community vote. Not an individuals "thought".

>  a bit of social
> interaction does have the tendency to create 'community' which is
> Debian's strength, so it could be viewed as productive.

Plurium interrogationum - how cute.
You do yourself no favours advancing that sort of fallacious logic.

> What I have seen, with the clearly marked OT threads is the ability to
> ignore/delete them

Agreed.

> as I do when I look through and delete any other
> threads that I am not currently interested in or can't help with.
> The 'noise' on this list is nothing to what I have seen in the past.
> One, I remember, over communist mainland China and Taiwan that
> resulted, very regretfully, in a kernel developer leaving.

What we have seen in the Debian lists is that people who provide genuine
assistance - don't because of the difficulty of wading through torrents
of irrelevant rubbish. There's never a shortage of "helpers" with
irrelevant opinions, or "pluckers of low hanging fruit" (here's what
Google says".
Tagging "[OT]" - is good, keeping the subject matter to Debian software
and is better.

> We are human beings and not automatons.

Relevance?

> We use different oil.

Indeed but what are you trying to say?
Either we allow endless off-topic drivel or we lose the list??

Pure bifurcation rubbish. There are web forums for off-topic material -
some even give "bean" ratings.

> Regards,
>
> Weaver.

Note that in the past a list was created just for off-topic discussions.
No one used it.

Cheers.