Re: [OT] Re: Please kill the noise

Stan Hoeppner wrote:
On 10/7/2011 7:58 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:

I've been trying like h3ll to avoid another response to this for obvious
reasons.
Me too. But...

But a point needs to be raised that everyone should read and
comprehend.

OT messages get archived with the rest.  Depending on the search text,
it's likely one will get hits to these OT threads.  Do I need to
elaborate on what a time waster this can be?

I can honestly say that I've yet to find this a problem - either when googling or going through list archives. Searches ALWAYS find lots of extraneous material and have to be narrowed down. When looking for technical information, things get very specific very quickly, which tends to filter out off topic discussions very quickly. Just try googling debian +<some piece of software> or debian +<some error message> --- assuming that you plug something specific into that search, you're not going to find any of the recent off-topic discussions, or this message (I realized as I was typing that using plugging in a specific example WOULD return this message in a search).