Re: [OT] Re: Please kill the noise

On 10/7/2011 7:58 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 07/10/11 07:32, Weaver wrote:

>> What I have seen, with the clearly marked OT threads is the ability to
>> ignore/delete them
>
> Agreed.

I've been trying like h3ll to avoid another response to this for obvious
reasons.  But a point needs to be raised that everyone should read and
comprehend.

This list has maybe a few thousand subscribers.  I would guess that
English Debian has many tens of thousands of users.  Most of those users
find answers to their questions in the list archives, either via Google
or directly searching the sites that archive this list.

OT messages get archived with the rest.  Depending on the search text,
it's likely one will get hits to these OT threads.  Do I need to
elaborate on what a time waster this can be?

Apparently because they are self centered individuals, many/most
responders to my message assumed I was scolding the the OT threads
because they were directly affecting me negatively.  This is true to a
very minor degree.  These same people are either unaware of the bigger
picture, or simply choose to ignore it.

The content of this list has a much larger audience than the list
members.  Please keep those folks who search the archives in mind when
clogging the list with OT content.

--
Stan