Re: nvidia-driver - some problems

On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 15:29:06 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

>> Well, AFAIK nvidia never stopped supporting their old cards. I know ATI
>> did (I mean, the closed source driver), but that's another story...
>>
>  No, they did indeed! It is now a long time, older cards (below 8XXX)
>  were nor
> supported nby the nvidia-glx driver. So the kernel module could not be
> loaded.

I have absolutely no constance about that, are you completely sure about
it? :-?

>> Besides, you can see your card listed at "nvidia-glx¹" package ("/usr/
>> share/doc/nvidia-glx/README.txt.gz", Appendix A.) and that's why I
>> asked what problem where you facing with this specific driver version.
>
> Yes, it is listed, of course, but it mioght be an old documnetation that
> Nvidia did not update. Dunno.......

I don't think so... Debian nvidia driver is based on nvidia upstream
driver so they have to share the same level support for the listed cards.

> In the meantime I tested the new driver: It does still not load. See my
> mail with the strace output please.

Yes, I already replied to that thread. But I have no previous experience
with dkms, I always install the required packages manually.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón