Error when loading nvidia module (was: nvidia-driver - some problems)

On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 15:10:36 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

> Me again!

:-)

(let me change the subject for this thread to avoid mixing with the other
one)

> Now I went back to the latest nvidia driver. Building went fine (I am
> using dkms), but it inhibits to load.
>
> See the last strace output from "strace modprobe nvidia":

(...)

> write(2, "FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/"..., 100FATAL: Error
> inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/3.0.0-1-686-pae/updates/dkms/nvidia.ko):
> No such device ) = 100

Okay, so this is the error you said before, right?

I assume that you have followed this steps:

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Use_DKMS

I dunno how nor what "dkms" does but I would first check for the basics,
for instance, is nouveau module unloaded? Have you restared the computer
(or at least the X server) after installing -and setting as default- the
nvidia driver?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón