Re: pointer stuck at upper left corner (half-solved)

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011, Scott Ferguson wrote:

Lack of an /etc/X11/xorg.conf shouldn't cause a problem... but udev
might not be picking one up (though I don't understand how a power
failure would kill that, but allow gpm to function).

  One may think that the real cause was not the power failure itself, but
  the fact that it was the first reboot after some package upgrade.
  I checked that it not the case: the only recent upgrsde was for virtualbox,
  and it was not running.
  Anyway, something happened, as in addition to the mouse problem,
  I discovered that some iso10646 fonts are no more available.

What happens if you open a console and move your mouse after:-
# cat /dev/input/mouse0

    mouse0 gave nothing, but with mouse 1 or mice, I got something
    when moving the mouse. (cf below)

And, have you checked /var/log/Xorg.0.log
$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i mouse

  I already did it, and there was nothing to notice, mainly:

  Adding input device WALTOP International Corp Media Tablet(/dev/input/mouse0)
  Adding input device Logitech USB Receiver (/dev/input/mouse1)

  This gave me the idea to unplug my tablet.. and this solved the problem!
  But I still don't understand why, as this tablet was plugged in since more
  than 1 year. I don't have now a working driver for it, but I hope that
  if I find one, the problem will not re-appear.

  thank you for your help

--
Pierre Frenkiel