Re: IP address depending on the MAC

On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 06:13:04AM BST, Ireneusz Szcześniak wrote:
> This is what I have already done, but the static lease doesn't
> protect me from the "unplugging problem" and the behaviour of
> dhclient.  I haven't looked into the config of dhclient yet, but
> reconfiguring it so that it keeps trying to get a configuration and
> doesn't fall back to a random IP address seems a good thing to try.

You only need the IP address when the PC is plugged into the net, right?
In that case setting a static lease will solve your problem, simply make
sure to install a bit of software that detects the cable being plugged
in, e.g. AFAICR the aforementioned packages should have that capability
or simply use ifplugd or similar.
What do you mean by "falls back to a random IP address"?
What purpose unplugging the PC from the network has? Is it part of the lab?

Regards,
--
Raf