Re: IP address depending on the MAC

On 03.10.2011 01:36, Liam O'Toole wrote:

Could you elaborate on why you can't use a DHCP server? I ask this
because you can set up dnsmasq to assign a fixed IP address to a client
based on its hostname or MAC address, and to give clients an infinite
lease. Therefore it offers a convenient way to allocate effectively
static IP addresses from a central location.

The computers are in a university laboratory, where students often unplug the lan cable. Then they plug the cable again after some time, and unplug again.

The problem with this plugging and unplugging is that when the dhclient doesn't receive a lease in time, it randomly picks an address and stays with it even then the cable is plugged later. With this random address I can't connect to the computer remotely. And so the idea of a static address came to my mind. But now I think I should look into the configuration of dhclient to resolve the problem.

--
Ireneusz (Irek) Szczesniak
http://www.irkos.org