Re: IP address depending on the MAC

On 05.10.2011 23:15, Raf Czlonka wrote:
On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 08:59:08PM BST, Ireneusz Szcześniak wrote:
The computers are in a university laboratory, where students often
unplug the lan cable.  Then they plug the cable again after some
time, and unplug again.

The problem with this plugging and unplugging is that when the
dhclient doesn't receive a lease in time, it randomly picks an
address and stays with it even then the cable is plugged later.
With this random address I can't connect to the computer remotely.
And so the idea of a static address came to my mind.  But now I
think I should look into the configuration of dhclient to resolve
the problem.

You can resolve this issue by setting up a long lease time and set up
static leases only - it's trivial.

This is what I have already done, but the static lease doesn't protect me from the "unplugging problem" and the behaviour of dhclient. I haven't looked into the config of dhclient yet, but reconfiguring it so that it keeps trying to get a configuration and doesn't fall back to a random IP address seems a good thing to try.

--
Ireneusz (Irek) Szczesniak
http://www.irkos.org