Re: [OT] British vs. American English (was Re: Wow, Evolution left me with eggs in my face)

On Sunday 02 October 2011 09:34:47 Terence wrote:
> Another interesting thing (at least to me) is the distinction between
> "dinner" and "supper". Does one dine or sup in the evening (I am
> assuming that no one on the list would have "dinner" mid-day!). In my
> experience it would seem that the usage depends on the formality of
> the occasion, with dinner being the more formal.
>
> When receiving an invitation to supper from some friends with whom we
> had dined previously (which had been black tie) I asked my hostess the
> difference. Her reply was that dining was formal, and taken in the
> dining room, but that supper was very informal and eaten around their
> large kitchen table.

That is a matter of class and region again.  I will stick to Lancashire, the
west midlands and the home counties, since that is what I know from personal
experience.

For those for whom tea is the evening meal, supper is a hot drink (probably
made with milk) and a biscuit or sandwiches before going to bed.
This "dialect" also allows for dinner - a hot cooked meal in the middle of
the day.

For those who have lunch in the middle of the day, and dinner or supper in the
evening, the distinction between supper and dinner is as you say, unless you
add the word "party".  Then dinner party is in the evening, but supper party
is less formal and is later in the evening, say after a concert or the
theatre.  So "party" ,maintains the formal/informal distinction, but also
shifts the time.

Lisi