Re: [OT] British vs. American English (was Re: Wow, Evolution left me with eggs in my face)

On 2 October 2011 10:24, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> For those for whom tea is the evening meal, supper is a hot drink (probably
> made with milk) and a biscuit or sandwiches before going to bed.
> This "dialect" also allows for dinner - a hot cooked meal in the middle of
> the day.
>
> For those who have lunch in the middle of the day, and dinner or supper in the
> evening, the distinction between supper and dinner is as you say, unless you
> add the word "party".  Then dinner party is in the evening, but supper party
> is less formal and is later in the evening, say after a concert or the
> theatre.  So "party" ,maintains the formal/informal distinction, but also
> shifts the time.

Yes, I hadn't considered the subtle changes incurred by the "party"
suffix, but you are quite right.

It's no wonder that confusion reigns when non-English English speakers
try to learn or understand the many variations.

Then, of course there is the question of local, dialect words and
phrases.........

Terence