[OT] British vs. American English (was Re: Wow, Evolution left me with eggs in my face)

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 19:22:31 -0400 (EDT), Lisi wrote:
> On Saturday 01 October 2011 23:23:10 Liam O'Toole wrote:
>> On 2011-10-01, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>>> Sorry, I was pissed.
>>
>> In the British or the American sense? It's hard to tell.
>
> I didn't know that the American sense existed.

And I didn't know that the British sense existed.

Amazing, isn't it?  Two cultures divided by a common language.

A sign seen at a restaurant in England says, "Football coaches
not admitted unless booked in advance".  What does that mean?
An American who sees that sign scratches his head and thinks,
"What do these people have against Joe Paterno?"  He doesn't
realize that "football coach" means "soccer bus".  Even when we
use the same words, they mean different things.  In England,
"tea" means a full meal.  An American thinks that "tea" must
be the British equivalent of a coffee break, except that they
drink tea instead of coffee.

By the way "really mad" to an American means "really angry",
not "really crazy", just in case you didn't know.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :