Re: [OT] British vs. American English (was Re: Wow, Evolution left me with eggs in my face)

On Sunday 02 October 2011 01:09:16 Stephen Powell wrote:
> In England,
> "tea" means a full meal.

Sorry to contradict you, but this is inaccurate.  I don't know how the numbers
pan out percentage-wise, since the use of tea in that sense is both regional
and class based.  (Yes, that terrible British class system.)

In the middle classes in the south, and the upper classes everywhere in
England, tea means a cup of tea in the afternoon, perhaps with biscuits
and/or cake etc.  Cream tea means, I think everywhere in England, a pot of
tea and scones with cream and strawberry jam, consumed in the afternoon.

In offices and certainly some factories, we have a tea break in the afternoon
and a coffee break in the morning.

I simply don't know how this pans out in Scotland, Wales and Ireland, but you
rescued me from needing to know by specifically speaking of England!  I am
not quibbling - there are distinct cultural differences between the nations.

I just asked my granddaughter what meal she would mean by tea and she
said "What meal?  There isn't a meal called tea."  So it hasn't yet changed
and is still used as I have described above.

Sorry - language fascinates me!

Lisi