Re: Locale set to "C"

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 19:06:49 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 21:21:23 +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
>
> > Hi, on a new Wheezy installation locale reports all the LC_* options set
> > to "C". As a result I can't see greek, they display as question marks in
> > gnome-terminal.
>
> Hum... and what returns "locale -a"?

panayk@singapore:~$ locale -a
C.UTF-8
POSIX
el_GR.utf8
en_US.utf8

> > /etc/default/locale appropriately sets the default locale to
> > "en_US.UTF-8". I also tried /etc/profile and /etc/environment but the
> > locale remains set to "C".
> >
> > What am I missing? Any help appreciated!
>
> You may want to try to reconfigure the package ("dpkg-reconfigure
> locales").

I've tried this many times, but thanks!

> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón
>

> --

I read the article on debian-administration about locales, and there seems to be nothing I've missed. So I am considering this a bug. I reported it against package "locales", even thought it's probably caused by something else.

Bug number is 644047.

--
Best regards,
    Panayiotis Karabassis