Re: Ill advised blundering = nasty mess

On 28/09/11 11:39, Carl Fink wrote:
On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 12:24:22AM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

I inadvertantly deleted /etc/init.d/sendmail.  Well I thought I'd just
reinstall sendmail to re-acquire that file.

Any attempt to uninstall it tells me it is not installed, any attempt
to install it ends with an error that appears to happen due to that
missing file, or the fact that sendmail-bin cannot be --configured.

| /etc/mail/aliases: 4 aliases, longest 10 bytes, 66 bytes total
| invoke-rc.d: unknown initscript, /etc/init.d/sendmail not found.
| dpkg: error processing sendmail-bin (--configure):

sudo "touch /etc/init.d/sendmail"
sudo "aptitude --purge remove sendmail*"

However my preferred method:

"sudo aptitude install postfix"

Postfix is a drop-in replacement for sendmail that can be configured by mere
mortals.

Unless the machine is a mail server - ie it receives mail and stores it there for access by client programs. Then the very easiest package to install is ssmtp.

I have quite a few machines in my house, but only one is the mail server.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk