Re: Ill advised blundering = nasty mess

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 12:24:22AM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I inadvertantly deleted /etc/init.d/sendmail.  Well I thought I'd just
> reinstall sendmail to re-acquire that file.

> Any attempt to uninstall it tells me it is not installed, any attempt
> to install it ends with an error that appears to happen due to that
> missing file, or the fact that sendmail-bin cannot be --configured.

> | /etc/mail/aliases: 4 aliases, longest 10 bytes, 66 bytes total
> | invoke-rc.d: unknown initscript, /etc/init.d/sendmail not found.
> | dpkg: error processing sendmail-bin (--configure):

sudo "touch /etc/init.d/sendmail"
sudo "aptitude --purge remove sendmail*"

However my preferred method:

"sudo aptitude install postfix"

Postfix is a drop-in replacement for sendmail that can be configured by mere
mortals.
--
Carl Fink                           nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!