Re: Partitioning my new 1TB drive

Am Mittwoch, 28. September 2011 schrieb Marc Shapiro:
> On 09/26/11 12:24, Nicolas wrote:
> > I have a disk with the same space and i use lvm dividing it in
> > several partitions and a 300 gb free space block if any of the
> > partitions need more space. It's very practical and dependable. And
> > the filesystem is ext4 for all of them.
>
> Are you recommending a single, large PV with multiple LVs, or several
> smaller PVs to make up the LV group?

I never used more than one PV on a single harddisk unless I decided to add
a partition that I used for other stuff later on.

I recommend partitioning the drive nonetheless even when its possible to
put LVM directly on the complete harddisk. For booting I recommend an
extra /boot partition anyway. ext3 for GRUB 1, may be ext4 for GRUB 2.
While GRUB 2 should support LVM2 directly, I decided not to depend on that
support.