Re: Partitioning my new 1TB drive

Am Mittwoch, 28. September 2011 schrieb Marc Shapiro:
> On 09/25/11 23:35, Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> > I would emphatically recommend to use a more advanced file system
> > like ext4 for this size of drive.
> > E.g., fsck runs much much faster with ext4.
>
> Other than fsck running faster, what are the advantages of ext4 over
> ext3?

Big files are faster cause Ext4 uses extents instead of bitmap blocks. For
more information see the links Jörg-Volker posted.

In recent kernels Ext4 should have gotten close to XFS performance wise
even on large machines. For a desktop or laptop I recommend Ext4 anyway
unless BTRFS gets an fsck and leaves experimental status. I use BTRFS on /
already even on my main laptop, but /home for it is still Ext4.