Re: [OT] advice re Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Disk Drive

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 14:44:31 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Monday 26 September 2011 13:04:18 Camaleón wrote:
>> For what specific purpose?
>>
>> It's not the same if you are going to use it just for backups than for
>> storing the "/" filesystem on a home desktop, for a hosting company as
>> a part of a hw raid system, to be used for a cluster or...
>>
>> A most accurate description will provide you the better responses.
>
> Not really, it depends on the attitude of the person using it.  All I am
> asking is: is it better quality and more durable than the blue ranges.
> Once burnt, twice shy.

Attitude has nothing to do with performance nor adequacy.

There are drives that are focused to be run to store data (slow rotation
→ long life, power-saving capabilites...) while others are to be run over
systems that "needs for speed", reliability and/or maximum performance.

Back to your question: is it worth the black edition for non specific
purpose and generally speaking?

Okay, what are both prizes (blue and black) and what's the exact blue
model? But I bet yes, black edition features a 5-year guarantee and only
for that I would add extra pennies to the buy.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón